Permitted Development in Garden Office

The big question we get asked by most of our customers is do we need planning permision. There is no simple answer to this but in general yuo won’t need any planning permissions as we will construct and place your garden office to come within a term called Permitted Development and more information can be found on the planning portal at

We will try to give you a brief outline of the Permitted development document here, and the terms below are taken directly from the Planning Portal.

  • If you live in an area that is listed below, you may well need planning permision and a thorough read of the planning portal is recomended.

    • a Conservation Area

    • a National Park

    • an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty

    • a World Heritage Site or

    • the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads

  • No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.

  • Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.

  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container  within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.

  • No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.

  • In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.

  • On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.

  • Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission

Although the list above makes a long read and seems to be quite restrictive, these rules give us a firm standing to create a large free standing Garden Office upto 30sqm on your property. Pods Cornwall can come out to your property and give you a free site assessment to ascertain if you require planning permision, whilst on site PODS can complete a full site survey and take all mesurements required to create your Cad designs and plans for you to sign of for build.

With direct link to the council departments we can also give you a quick decision if you do require planning permision and if you do we can take care of the whole process for you.