Planning Permission


Permitted Development Rights


Permitted Development

The big question we get asked by most of our customers is do we need planning permission. There is no simple answer to this but in general you won’t need any planning permissions as we will construct and place your garden office to come within a term called Permitted Development and more information can be found on the planning portal at


Brief Outline

If you live in an area that is listed below, you may well need planning permission and a thorough read of the planning portal is recommended.

  • a Conservation Area

  • a National Park

  • an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty

  • a World Heritage Site or

  • the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads

  • No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.

  • Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.

  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container  within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwelling house.

  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.

  • No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.

  • In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.

  • On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.

  • Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission


Although the list above makes a long read and seems to be quite restrictive, these rules give us a firm standing to create a large free standing Garden Office up to 30 sqm on your property. Pods Cornwall can come out to your property and give you a free site assessment to ascertain if you require planning permission, whilst on site PODS can complete a full site survey and take all measurements required to create your Cad designs and plans for you to sign of for build.

With direct link to the council departments we can also give you a quick decision if you do require planning permission and if you do we can take care of the whole process for you.